Re: How much interest in a "debian-science.org" repository?

On Thu, 2006-07-20 at 13:53, Daniel Leidert wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 19.07.2006, 13:03 -0400 schrieb Kevin B. McCarty:
>
> [..]
> > That reminds me of another question I had.  Maybe it's too early to
> > bring up but I'll ask it anyway.
> >
> > What would be the best way to organize the archive by section?  The
> > usual divisions "main contrib non-free" are fine for Debian, but one
> > of the main reasons an unofficial repository is needed is the
> > often-poor state of care to licenses in scientific software that makes
> > them unsuitable for Debian's archive.  Probably the only software in
> > "main" in the repo would be either things undergoing testing on their
> > way to the Debian official archive, or Free software that's too
> > obscure to package for Debian.  (I'm thinking of CERN's "patchy" as an
> > example for the latter.)
> >
> > So I was thinking perhaps a division by field makes more sense -
> > "analysis astronomy biology chemistry physics" etc.   A typical
> > sources.list line might then look something like
> >
> > deb http://www.debian-science.org/ physics analysis
>
> I heavily vote against this.
>
> > Maybe some packages could be made available under more than one field
>
> And this is the reason. It would make it more complicated to get or even
> _find_ packages.
>
> > (e.g. ROOT under both physics and analysis)?  After all, ROOT and
> > (e.g.) PAW aren't intrinsically physics software (unlike say GEANT),
> > they're just traditionally used by physicists.  Comments?
>
> I really vote for using the main/contrib/non-free section model. This
> would also help to see, which packages might be worth a try to get them
> into Debian officially, which should be the goal in every case.

An answer in this thread said, scientist often don't care about
licenses. And often they are allowed to do so.  Often applications have
exceptions for non-commercial use or usage for research tasks.  The
latter is easily proven when working for an institute or university.
As a conclusion, separating science applications into
main/contrib/non-free does not make much sense in these cases.  As
scientist I can put the most into main.
So a high level classification into something like libraries, plotting,
visualisation, WEB, GUI, common, ... (only a collection of items as
example) would be more appropriate I think.

Kind Regards,
Thomas