Re: ubuntu-science

Hi,

Thanks Jordan for your notification.

On Sat, Jan 07, 2006 at 10:21:17AM -0800, Jordan Mantha wrote:
> Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> >-- Lastly as the one behind Quantian, the to my knowledge single largest
> >   collection of scientific / numerical / quantitative apps in one
> >   ready-to-run place, I'd love to pull the two resources in and get, say,
> >   the more polished desktop experience and menu organisation of (K)Ubuntu
> >   back into Debian / Knoppix / Quantian, and would also love to pull some
> >   of
> >   the additional packages in.  But I am
> >     * still puzzled about the binary interchangeability, or lack thereof,
> >       between Ubuntu and Debian
> >     * confused as to why one would want to insert a package into Ubuntu
> >       but not Debian (other than the needing a DD sponsor reason).
>
> To be honest, I package for Ubuntu because it is the distro I use. I
> don't run Debian (although maybe I should) so I would feel awkward about
> packaging something for a distro that I don't even run. Now, maybe that
> is my fault but I am encouraging Ubuntu packagers to go ahead and file
> ITPs or RFPs and find sponsors.

This puzzled me.  Is not packaging for Debian or for Ubuntu *exactly*
the same thing (technically speaking)?  What about
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ContributingToDebian ?

Moreover, testimonies like this one (in French)
http://thomas.enix.org/Blog-20050907205353-Libre show it is `easy'
(using a chroot) to build Ubuntu packages from the working Debian
ones.  Doing it the other way (Ubuntu only packages not existing in
Debian) requires additional work like the one performed by the utnubu
team.  So this advocates a lot to my eyes creating packages for Debian
from the start (this way we all benefit from the new packages).

> >I really don't want to be confrontational, or start another useless flame
> >war. But given Debian and debian-science, how can we achieve the best
> >outcomes with the least amount of duplication and waste?
>
> I agree. That is why I started this discussion. For me it comes down to
> this, we have Debian users who will want to package/patch for Debian and
> Ubuntu users who will want to package/patch for Ubuntu and what we need

Well, what I understand currently is that people who package/patch for
Debian are de facto packaging/patching for Ubuntu also in the same
time, aren't they?  The other way in not yet automatic.

> is for the Ubuntu packages/patches to get make it into Debian because
> that is good for everybody. I wanted debian-science to be aware of what
> we are doing over in Ubuntu so that we can communicate/coordinate as
> needed to avoid duplication of work and make sure that we are giving
> Debian/Ubuntu users the best distros we can.

Would the following proposal I made (without much success) some months
ago fulfil some of your wishes?
http://lists.debian.org/debian-science/2005/08/msg00166.html

Best regards,
Frederic