Debian science package nursery

Hi,

On Thu, Aug 18, 2005 at 07:47:34AM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Aug 2005, kamaraju kusumanchi wrote:
> >As long as the list is friendly for newbies, no one flames about OT topics
> >etc., debian-science in my opinion is preferable than more specific ones
> >like debian-physics, debian-chemistry, debian-electrical ....
> The topic said "sponsoring" but you are reasoning about this mailing list

I changed the topic.  :) What I have in mind would be something closer
to what is done by the utnubu team (http://utnubu.alioth.debian.org/).
In short summary, they ask some Ubuntu(-only) .deb maintainer whether
s/he would be inclined to upload the already existing packages
directly to Debian (and then track the BTS).  If s/he is not
interested in and if the utnubu team considers the package worthy
enough, then they upload it to Debian changing its maintainership to
the team name utnubu-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org and after
track the Debian BTS and forward issues and improvements to Ubuntu
original maintainer.

My idea is simply generalising the idea to science software maintained
(more or less according to the policy) outside Debian.  As outside
maintainers are most often not as much structured as Ubuntu is, I
believe it would be nice to provide (on Alioth) some intermediate
caring (and hopefully friendly) place for the sources of the packages
adopted by a `debian-science team' like what is done, for example, by
the OCaml maintainers¹.  Such a place would also be nice for
integrating into Debian and sponsoring packagers of science software
willing to become Debian maintainers (it is the current OCaml
maintainers practice, and of many others similar teams I suppose).

There is a thread on debian-devel about team maintenance:

> My reasining was how you might enhance your chances to find a sponsor for
> a special package.  Look at my case: I was *very* hesitated whether I should
> subscribe to this list.  I did so for some reason.  But I guess I'm the
> only one from debian-med.  If somebody here on this list would ask for
> sponsoring microbiological software and I would have decided not to
> subscribe
> he will most probably not find a sponsor.

Well, I just subscribed to debian-med.  ;-)  Though I will not be of
any help on the sponsoring side, not being a Debian maintainer
myself.

Maybe you have some experience to share with respect to debian-med.
By reading pages like http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-med/microbio,
how have you succeeded in moving packages from the yellow to the
green?

One question is whether we have Debian developers interested in
supporting the idea just described (as there are in the utnubu team).

Best regards,
Frederic Lehobey

1. See my original post
http://lists.debian.org/debian-science/2005/08/msg00148.html and this