Re: ubuntu-science

Daniel Leidert wrote:
Am Freitag, den 06.01.2006, 23:22 -0800 schrieb Jordan Mantha:

[..]
Ok, so the reason I sent this rather long email is that I think it would be a benefit to both the Debian and Ubuntu communities if we keep each other informed at least and work together where possible.

But then why also splitting the mailing lists? We split more and more
things only because there is Debian and there is Ubuntu and so we split
the whole possible resources.
Well, to be honest I don't see this as a split, but and addition. The purpose of MOTUScience is to coordinate and discuss packaging activities (merges, bugs, etc.) within Ubuntu.

I am encouraging the MOTUScience team members to at least email this list when a new science package has been added to Ubuntu so that we don't get a lot of duplication of work.

You see the duplicate of work? Debian user or maintainers of science
package have to remember to send mails to the Ubuntu lists and the
Ubuntu guys have to do the same and send mails to the Debian lists.

Isn't there a possibility to stay on one list and tag threads if
necessary, rather than splitting the lists and the manpower?

The reason why I say this is, that I got several mails asking for Ubuntu
packages of my science and non-science Debian packages. Now splitting
all the places, where the work is done or where the discussions take
place doesn't make my life easier.

I don't see duplication of work here (at least that is what I am trying to avoid). I really don't think that Debian would have to do much. The burden of communication is really on us (Ubuntu). We already obtain the Debian packages when we sync to sid. We already try to link to bug reports in BTS when we have bugs filed in Malone. What we need is for Debian to hear about what we are doing. I really don't think that Debian should really need to do anything additional. The only thing I can see now is that it is helpful for everybody that when we add new packages to Ubuntu that they eventually get into Debian too and that can be somewhat of a challenge if you aren't used to Debian.

For me this is not a split of manpower since, at least for me personally, I didn't stop contributing to Debian to contribute to Ubuntu. I never used Debian so you are infact gaining manpower. In fact, I am trying to patch a split that already exists. If people working on Ubuntu never talked to Debian then we could have some serious duplication of work. I am trying to open lines of communication so that doesn't happen.

If you include your packages in Debian they will be included in Ubuntu. You don't have to worry about Ubuntu if you don't want to. I am not trying to split debian-science, I am just trying to compliment it. Right now ubuntu-science is just for us to use for internal communication.

of course, just my 2 cents
Regards, Daniel

Thanks for your thoughts,
Jordan