chemical drawing packages

I tried again, after months have elapsed, chemical
drawing packages available for debian i386 etch/GNOME
2.14.3:

---chemtool 1.6.9-1
---xdrawchem 1.9.9-3
---gchempaint 0.6.6

with installed
---openbabel 2.0.2-1

My focus was to get exchange of files with chemdraw,
which are the file types requested by most editors. I
was able to write them with xdrawchem (much improved
as a package since the last time I tried it), though
reading of chemdraw files generated by chemdraw (I
requested them from colleagues who use Windows OS and
chemdraw) did not work well. Atom symbols came out of
place.

No chance with the other packages (I appreciated the
speed and simplicity of gchempaint because I am not
asking to these type of packages anything else than a
good presentation of drawings, while I am uninterested
in [illusory] simulation of spectra and things like
that). I understand it is a problem of openbabel (if
not a problem of misuse).

If am not  mistakenly using the packages, or have not
found the right way to fulfill editor's requests,
please help. For the time being I continue with an
application under wine, looking for the time when a
linux-native application will be fully working in
regard to the editors.

Cheers
francesco pietra