Re: embed fonts in eps from R?

On Wed, 2006-12-27 at 20:05, gnwiii@gmail.com wrote:
> On 12/26/06, Yaroslav Halchenko <debian@onerussian.com> wrote:
> > I am sorry for bringing this discussion back.  From your
> > experience what tools produced nice results and were easy to use under
> > linux (or better be available under Linux).
> >
> > A publisher requested to get tiff's saved in CMYK so I
> > started doing research on the topic and of cause first of all I mairixed
> > my mail archives to get to this email ;-)
> > I am not dealing with very colorful pictures so I am not sure if exact
> > profiling of screen would do any difference but I've done its basic
> > profiling using lprof. Now I am looking for easy way to save CMYK
> > tiff's.
> >
> > There is a http://www.blackfiveservices.co.uk/separate.shtml GIMP plugin
> > but it seems that it wasn't really active developed recently, thus, I
> > thought, there must be some better alternative. I've split RGB into CMYK
> > layers using some conversion present in GIMP (takes RBF and decomposes
> > into separate layers of CMYK - so no proper visualization is
> > available). I am yet to find how to store that into CMYK TIFF
> > since it merges layers together while saving into tiff. After browsing
> > more it seems that the "separate" plugin is the only way.
> >
> > What other tools are available?
>
> Linux support for publishing is still weak (in part because much of
> the effort has gone to servers and in part because most people run
> linux on PC's were low cost wins over color
> standardization).  ImageMagick's command-line tool, "convert" can make
> CMYK tiffs and can (if built with lcms) embed ICC profiles.  You will
> probably need to build it yourself to get all the capabilities, as the
> versions included in many linux distros have been built without lcms.

Some time ago I searched for ICC profiles and here are 2 URLs:
1.)	http://www.adobe.com/support/
	select "download" and scroll down until you read "Adobe ICC Profiles".
After accepting the license for end user you can download an archive
with RGB and CMYK profiles.
2.)	http://www.iccview.de/index.htm
	sorry that's in german, but some key words are not translated or
common.  Select in the top "ICC-Infos".  If you then scroll down you
will get to a section listing the profiles iccview can work with.  Some
are available for download (see the 'ZIP' on the right hand side).
This section follows some links to colormanagement and then additional
links to icc profiles.

> It helps to have some feeling for the differences between the gamut of
> a CMYK (ink) printing  process and the screen.  Many people run into
> difficulties because they have chosen colors that aren't in the CMYK
> gamut.

Maybe this helps to work around.  But best would be a proper color
selection initially using a color space circle for light and paint.

Kind Regards,
Thomas