Re: Simulation software package maintainer

Moin Paul,
On Wed, Nov 22, 2006 at 10:18:09PM +0100, Paul Cochrane wrote:

> >The "correct" way would be to file a request for packaging (RFP) bug report
> >with the debian BTS. I searched on the bugs.d.o webpage, but could not find
> >anything, so you either have to know where to look or what to look for in
> >your favourite search engine:
> >
> >http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/
> >
> >You need to file a bug against wnpp, details on that page, copy&paste does
> >not work on my last remaining debian box...
> Given your reply below, is it still worth my while filing the bug, or
> should I let you handle this?  That's just a question, I can still
> file a bug, no problems.

If you want to file bug number 400k, go for it, but I can live without
another bug report. I will have a look at it and let you know, if I am still
interested.

> Hrm, sounds as if I should give you some time :-)  Good luck with
> resurrecting the notebook!

It should work fine again tomorrow, just needs a new harddisk. But I need to
set up a desktop again, all this (cross-)compiling and backporting on the
notebook might have accelerated the dying of the disk.

> >are the plots on the webpage created by
> >xmds, too?
> Actually, no.  Not directly.  The data is from xmds, however they're
> >from Matlab.  xmds has a program which converts its output format (xml
> based, and portable) into matlab or scilab output (which itself uses
> gnuplot).

Thought so, I am reading the manual currently. I hope I can create the plots
also with octave, gnuplot, R, or some other free software? Also looking at
the documentation on the webpage, the manual seems to be written in tex, is
the tex code included in the xmds source package? Is the documentation
"free"? It would be a shame to add a well documented package but being
forced to leave out the documentation because of conflicting definitions of
freeness. I haven't followed debian's policy wrt free documentation
recently, but I think it has become very strict.

> It would also be interesting to see how one could use xmds within a
> teaching curriculum, however that's probably a question for a later
> time.

If I like it, we might actually have a class with this, or at least teach it
in our group. Many students have little or no programming experience, in the
next semester we will have a statistics class again, which was more an
introduction to programming with octave than about statistics. ODEs are
important as well, and after we did a short introduction in the 1.st semester
physics class, a lot of people asked about this already, maybe xmds would be
an option, too. It seems to be fairly easy to use, at least for simple
examples.

Christian