Re: Simulation software package maintainer

On Wed, Nov 22, 2006 at 09:39:18PM +0100, Paul Cochrane wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm one of the developers of the xmds simulation program
> (http://www.xmds.org; used to solve differential equations, and
> applicable in a variety of fields) and would like to contact someone
> interested in packaging xmds to become part of Debian.  The software
> is licensed under the GPL and is a sourceforge.net project
> (http://xmds.sf.net).  It uses autoconf for configuration and
> installation so hopefully isn't too hard to package up, however I
> don't have much experience in doing this myself, so it would be great
> to find someone who can do this and is already a Debian developer.
>
> Whom should I contact?  Is this the correct way to go about getting a
> new package into Debian while remaining an upstream author and not a
> package maintainer as such?  It would be fantastic to have this
> program as part of Debian.

The "correct" way would be to file a request for packaging (RFP) bug report
with the debian BTS. I searched on the bugs.d.o webpage, but could not find
anything, so you either have to know where to look or what to look for in
your favourite search engine:

http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/

You need to file a bug against wnpp, details on that page, copy&paste does
not work on my last remaining debian box...

But it is good that you ask on this list, IMHO, this might help in finding
somebody interested in packaging this. We have a new student that is supposed
to solve some ODEs in C++, without having any programming experience. This
might be a way to speed up code development. If we go this way, I would
probably package it for local use, if nobody else does it. Then I might be
willing to maintain it also. But first I have to build a new computer and/or
resurrect my notebook at home... are the plots on the webpage created by
xmds, too?

Why didn't you announce this two weeks ago, we gave a class about solving
ODEs numerically, this would have been great and my notebook was still
working then...

Christian