Re: Which tool for schematic 2D plotting of 3D data?

at www.gwyddion.net. If this is home-built or some other kind of data,
[snip]
ROOT (http://root.cern.ch/ [not part of debian yet]) is the C++
equivalent of PAW.
[snip]
ggobi, perhaps?
[snip]
or in R you could load the x/y/z coords and then just plot x ~ y... or
y~z, or whichever two dimensions you want.

All of those and more! I'll chime in with matplotlib/pylab. It sounds
to me like you have some functions from theoretical calculations, and
you want to plot them. Matplotlib, R, root, and many many more can
probably do this and make it much simpler than coding postscript. Your
best choice probably depends on what you are already familiar with..
python, c, ruby, etc... If you are going to be learning from scratch,
there were some good threads in this list's archives about plotting in
general. If I were you, I would look through the websites for some of
the packages mentioned and look for screenshots to see what looks
close to what you want to do.

Cheers,
JDR