Re: jabref destiny

On Mon, Jun 05, 2006 at 05:33:14PM -0400, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:

> > The problem from my point of view is that it builds in my normal
> > environment (with the Sun Java jre/jdk installed) but not in a
> > pbuilder chroot (because the Sun Java packages require a "Yes, I
> > agree with this licence" confirmation which obviously doesn't work in a
> > chroot) - I don't know what the buildds would do in that case.
> but jabref is architecture "all", why buildd should see it at all? :-)

Something like "FTBFS" rings in my ears :-)

> > Furthermore the future of Sun Java in Debian is a little unclear - to
> > put it mildly.
> well... since finally it made its way into non-free, I think (hope) that
> it will stay there for quite a while ;-)

We'll see.

> > And I've tried to compile jabref with free java compilers but without
> > success so far.
> It might be worth seeking for help of "Debian Java Packaging Project"
> members: http://pkg-java.alioth.debian.org/, if you really want to get
> involved that much ;-)

To be honest I don't really want to go into java stuff in Debian ATM.

> > So I'm a bit unsure what should be done about jabref.
> > >...<
> indeed, it might be worth asking for an advice from -dev mailing list

True.
Cc'ing d-d (for your reference: the previous mails can be found at
#205392).

> > > P.S. Gregor, Unfortunately could not inspect jabref package thoroughly
> > >  since
> > >  http://www.toastfreeware.priv.at/debian/unstable/jabref_2.0.1+2.1b-2_i386.changes
> > >  lacking read permissions for us ;-)
> > That's a feature (bug?) of mini-dinstall.
> > You still can grab all other files from
> > http://www.toastfreeware.priv.at/debian/unstable/ though.
> Well... though I doubt that anyone would run after you but you are
> violating GPL license now -- binary is available without the full source...
> ;-) and it forbids me to try pbuilder on it...

TTBOMK a source package consists of .dsc, .orig.tar.gz and .diff.gz.
All these files are available. You can download them manually, via
apt-get source or via dget *.dsc

Cheers,
gregor
 : :' :  debian: the universal operating system - http://www.debian.org/
   `-    NP: Johnny Cash: Would You Lay With Me (In A Fi