sla Re: Packaging Starlink CNF (highly portable fortran<->C bridge)

On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 05:59:22PM -0800, Nick Barkas wrote:
> I have built starlink software before, specifically sla, and found
> that a good place to get relatively "normal" tarballs from which you
> can build individual components without needing their entire build
> system are available here:
> http://dev.starlink.ac.uk/build/DEBIAN-3.0r3_i386/dist/. I have only
> used the sla code from that directory, but there is also a tarball for
> cnf in there, I see.
>
> I considered working on packaging starlink software, at least sla,
> when installing sla at my job, but put it far on the back burner since
> we, unfortunately, mostly do not use debian-based distributions where
> I work. But if someone besides me is interested in seeing part or all
> of the starlink code debian-ized, I would be happy to assist!
Note also that SLA, at least, is supposedly not actively maintained in
in its fortran version, but the (proprietary) C one only.  My saods9
package had this "obfuscated-GPL-C" version, and I was able to pull
the fortran CVS implementation instead, pretty much only because
everything was already in place, and all I needed to do was
  g77 -c *.f; ar ../libfoo.a *.o
and uncomment the fortran wrapper file from a Makefile elsewhere.

Justin