Packaging Starlink CNF (highly portable fortran<->C bridge)

Hello,

For my work I developed quite some useful code (in meteorological
environments) and it's licensed GPL.  It now works, and it's time to
think about distribution.  All the dependencies are fine except CNF:

   http://www.starlink.ac.uk/static_www/soft_further_CNF.html

CNF is a highly portable bridge between C and Fortran.  It completely
hides arch and compiler issues behind a convenient set of macros, and
provides functions to common conversion tasks (like converting strings
between Fortran and C).  So far I found it superior to any other
C/Fortran bridging layer, especially for portability.

Now, CNF is licensed under the terms of GPL, but the installer's fairly
weird (http://www.starlink.ac.uk/store/store.html):
 - Get the package from http://www.starlink.ac.uk/cgi-store/ftpform1?CNF
 - Unpack the shell archive
 - Go through an interactive process to configure and build and install

The interactive process is also the process that generates the CNF
macros according to the architecture and compiler in use.

Is anyone interested in packaging this wild beast and would like to work
on it together with me?

Ciao,

Enrico