Re: ROOT 5.08/00 (development version) for sarge on i386

Hi all,

On 12/23/05, Christian Holm Christensen <cholm@nbi.dk> wrote:

> Richards packages has some good things, in that it makes development
> packages for some of the add-ons, which I do not.  That's on my TODO
> list.  We (Kevin McCarthy and I, and to some extent the ROOT team) has
> put some effort into letting ROOT use DFSG-free TTF files, allowing ROOT
> to go into `main' rather than `contrib' or even `non-free'.  Also, I've
> tried to do all sorts of system integration, from desktop entries, to
> services.
>
> On mirror.phy.bnl.gov, we try to provide debs for stable and unstable,
> for i386 and amd64.
>
> I don't want to go into religious wars on this, but perhaps we could
> agree to focus our effort a bit here.

I think this is an excellent idea -- it could contribute to user
confusion if there continue to be two sets of somewhat incompatible
.debs out there, especially now that both are targeted at ROOT 5.x.
Really the best features of both efforts should be pooled.  I
apologize that I'm not sure of what are the biggest obstacles to such
a merger.  "Religious wars" makes it sound like a difference in
philosophy.  Even so, could it help if we set up a CVS repository on
alioth or something that would make it easier for people to combine
work?