Re: ROOT 5.08/00 (development version) for sarge on i386

Hi Kamaraju,

On Fri, 2005-12-23 at 18:49 -0500, kamaraju kusumanchi wrote:
> Ricardo Yanez wrote:
>
> >For debian users of ROOT,
> >
> >Debian packages for sarge for the new development version of ROOT (5.08/00) are
> >available at,
> >
> >  deb http://debian.calel.org/root stable non-free
> >
>    Sometime back I installed root packages from
>
> deb http://mirror.phy.bnl.gov/debian-root unstable root
>
> Is this outdated now? Does anyone have an idea if the calel.org
> repository supersedes the phy.bnl.gov? Which one should I use? please
> advise.

Richard's repository (at debian.calel.org) contains his packaging of
ROOT, while the repository at mirror.phy.bnl.gov contains `my'
packaging.  I say `my' in quotes, as many has contributed to this
mirror.   Take a look at the web-site
http://mirror.phy.bnl.gov/debian-root.

Richards packages are done and maintained by him entirely.

The packages at mirror.phy.bnl.gov is what you get from downloading the
prestine sources, unpack, and do

	make debian

in the top-level directory.   That is, the mirror.phy.bnl.gov packages
are partially maintained upstream, and partially by me.

Richards packages has some good things, in that it makes development
packages for some of the add-ons, which I do not.  That's on my TODO
list.  We (Kevin McCarthy and I, and to some extent the ROOT team) has
put some effort into letting ROOT use DFSG-free TTF files, allowing ROOT
to go into `main' rather than `contrib' or even `non-free'.  Also, I've
tried to do all sorts of system integration, from desktop entries, to
services.

On mirror.phy.bnl.gov, we try to provide debs for stable and unstable,
for i386 and amd64.

I don't want to go into religious wars on this, but perhaps we could
agree to focus our effort a bit here.

Yours,

--
 ___  |  Christian Holm Christensen
    | |  Address: Sankt Hansgade 23, 1. th.  Phone:  (+45) 35 35 96 91
     _|           DK-2200 Copenhagen N       Cell:   (+45) 24 61 85 91
    _|            Denmark                    Office: (+45) 353  25 404
 ____|   Email:   cholm@nbi.dk               Web:    www.nbi.dk/~cholm
 | |