Re: Debian's PAW should now work on AMD64 (also: OpenPAW)

Hi Brett et al,

On Thu, 2005-12-22 at 14:40 -0500, Brett Viren wrote:
> "Kevin B. McCarty" <kmccarty@Princeton.EDU> writes:
>
> > In case it slipped past people's notice, I just wanted to mention that
> > Cernlib's PAW data analysis program <URL:http://packages.debian.org/paw>
> > should work OK on Debian/AMD64
>
> Nice.  One less reason to keep my cluster at 32 bits.

I take this opportunity to announce that there's also AMD64 packages of
ROOT available from

	deb http://mirror.phy.bnl.gov/debian-root unstable root

> > On another note, I've found an interesting set of applications called
> > "OpenScientist" on the web: <URL:http://openscientist.lal.in2p3.fr/>.
> > It is GPL and apparently aims to be a competitor to ROOT (about which
> > the main OpenScientist author seems to have a bit of a chip on his
> > shoulder).
>
> Heh, ya' think?

Whow, that guy really _hates_ ROOT!  Ah well, his problem.

>   "OpenScientist is definitely NOT one million lines of intricated and
>   unnecessary complicated home made code reinventing everything."

Now, I haven't looked at the code yet, but I don't see OpenInventor
really re-use all the third-party libraries out there, like GSL,
plotutil, gmp, liberis (WorldForge), GTK/Qt/WX and so on.   Not that
ROOT really uses these either, which in my mind is a bad thing.

>   "And we must point out that writing in C++, java or C# does NOT
>   consist to put a ';' at the end of lines of a FORTRAN program."

Ha, he's got a point there though.  Some of the oldest classes in ROOT
does suffer from Fortrantitis, and ROOT is definitely not done in a
modern C++ (not OOP - C++) way, which would have used smart_ptr<...> all
over, and design patterns more evidently.

> There are some other gems in there.  They are funny because they are
> true!

Well, he's got one thing wrong - there'll never be a RootSoftInc
(the-lab-previously-known-as-CERN), as ROOT is now LGPL'ed :-)

> Anyways, this project looks quite interesting, thanks for pointing it
> out.

I'll give it a spin, but I fear it's all rant, and little substance :-)

It's good to remember though, that ROOT used to be the `under-dog', to
the extent that you could almost get fired from working on it ;-)  Some
one once said revolutions always come from below, never above :-)

Yours,

--
 ___  |  Christian Holm Christensen
    | |  Address: Sankt Hansgade 23, 1. th.  Phone:  (+45) 35 35 96 91
     _|           DK-2200 Copenhagen N       Cell:   (+45) 24 61 85 91
    _|            Denmark                    Office: (+45) 353  25 404
 ____|   Email:   cholm@nbi.dk               Web:    www.nbi.dk/~cholm
 | |