Debian's PAW should now work on AMD64 (also: OpenPAW)

Hi lists,

In case it slipped past people's notice, I just wanted to mention that
Cernlib's PAW data analysis program <URL:http://packages.debian.org/paw>
should work OK on Debian/AMD64 as of version 2005.05.09.dfsg-3.  I've
applied Harald Vogt's AMD64 patches from
<URL:http://www-zeuthen.desy.de/linear_collider/cernlib_2005.html> and
forced PAW to be statically linked on 64-bit arches.

PAW on AMD64 now runs almost all of the PAW tests and examples (in the
paw-demo package) successfully.  The only one it fails at is example 29,
where COMIS for some reason is unable to execute the HPLNUL subroutine -
I don't yet understand why.

Rigorous tests by PAW mavens with AMD64s are welcome!  Sorry, it still
doesn't seem to work very well on Itanium or Alpha, due to the fact that
those systems store data and text above the 32-bit boundary in their
virtual address spaces, defeating the workarounds for 64-bit
uncleanliness used by Professor Vogt.  Please follow up to
debian-science if you wish.

On another note, I've found an interesting set of applications called
"OpenScientist" on the web: <URL:http://openscientist.lal.in2p3.fr/>.
It is GPL and apparently aims to be a competitor to ROOT (about which
the main OpenScientist author seems to have a bit of a chip on his
shoulder).  The relevant part to my email is that OpenScientist contains
a re-implementation of PAW called "Open PAW":
<URL:http://openscientist.lal.in2p3.fr/v15r0/html/openpaw.html>  Since a
lot of it was re-written from scratch, it may very well be that this
could work as a PAW substitute on 64-bit arches.  Seems to be in the
early stages yet; anyone have any experience with it?

Happy Holidays to all,