Re: Systems for writing a science app front-end

> Interested to hear what people think wrt platforms/systems in which to
> write a front-end for a console scientific app (typically long-running).

Embed a web server into the long-running bit.  The use your browser at home to
monitor or control the simulation.  I haven't yet used it, but David Beazley's
(of SWIG fame) SWILL project looks promising:

Or you could use your favorite scripting language, which probably already has a
library providing a simple web server.