Sponsoring science packages

Hi,

On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 12:35:03AM -0400, kamaraju kusumanchi wrote:

> 2) Some DDs on this mailing list who can sponsor these packages. I
> already asked on debian-mentors and received no response.

As already noticed by Andreas Tille (in
http://lists.debian.org/debian-science/2005/08/msg00145.html) there
are many good science software already packaged for Debian lying
around that would deserve to find their way into main.

What could we do to encourage people to submit them officially to
Debian (and actually improve the packaging if needed)?

There are several projects (inside Debian) I know of for collective
packaging practice and review:

 - The utnubu team (http://utnubu.alioth.debian.org/) for moving
Ubuntu (-only) packages to Debian

 - The proposal for orphaned packages
http://wiki.debian.net/?OrphanedPackages

 - The pkg-ocaml-maint Task Force
http://pkg-ocaml-maint.alioth.debian.org/
(but I suppose there are many others in the pkg-... area)

Could not we settle something similar for science packages?
(like pkg-debian-science).

I have sketched a page on the wiki (I have more stuff to put there):
http://wiki.debian.net/?DebianScienceSponsoring

Comments anyone?

Best regards,
Frederic Lehobey