Re: The problem with gnuplot

On Sat, Aug 13, 2005 at 05:42:15PM -0300, Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer wrote:
> Someone (sorry for not knowing who) asked, if I'm not much mistaken,
> about what do people complain about gnuplot, apart from it's GUI. Well,
> I think gnuplot's greatest problem is it's license. Why? It complies
> with the FSF's guides, OK, but I think it's annoying to have to patch
> the sources every time you want to improve it. If it would be GPLed, I'm
> sure more people would like to contribute with it.

Note that you need the agreement from everybody who holds copyrights on
parts of the code in order to relicense a project.  This can sometimes
(in the case of very old projects with potentionally many external
contributors, like gnuplot) be a very hard thing unless you rip code out
and rewrite it (or start over from scratch).

Michael

--
Michael Banck
Debian Developer