Re: gnuplot

On 8/10/05, Igor Khavkine <igor.kh@gmail.com> wrote:
On 8/10/05, Andre Lehovich <andrel@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have two objections to Gnuplot.  First, it doesn't include a real programming
> language.  This means the various types of data manipulation needed to set up
> most plots have to be done by an external program.

This I agree with. But I don't think gnuplot was ever meant to be a
full blown data analysis environment. When some extra data processing
is needed, I've found that it couples very nicely with octave, or a
short external C/perl/... program.

This is easily solved by using gnuplot's bindings for various languages... I've had much success using the Python bindings for gnuplot, for example.  You get the benefit of processing and prepping data in your favourite language, using native data types, and the full plotting capabilities of gnuplot.  It's fairly easy to use.  See "Programming Interfaces" in http://www.gnuplot.info/links.html

--
Maciej Kalisiak
<mkalisiak@gmail.com>