Hercules - how to get a zVM OS (legally bought!) and put it on a VM under Hercules?

Hi,				22/8/15

sorry if this goes to the wrong group... if so, please give us a better pointer.

We have a z800 with zVM 5.3.0, and under it several Linux/390 (Debian) virtual machines, and a special VM that runs zVM 4.2.0 and under it a legacy system made of 100 or more VMs, all under CMS, plus of course all service VMs.

We have bought the 4.2.0 system "one shot" back in 2001 and have been entitled to all following releases, including the 5.3.0.

Now, this z800 is a burden, the processor went dead last year and we had to find a second-hand one...

In short, we would like to put all our configuration under Hercules, preferably on a Macintosh under Yosemite.

Our problem is: how to get our OSs (zVM 530 and zVM 420) from our machine and install them under Hercules?

Thnks in advance for any help!

C.Boitet & JC.Durand
Grenoble

> Le 21 août 2015 à 00:03, C. Thomas Stover <cts@thomasstover.com> a écrit :
>
> Anyone have any ideas on this? Install seemed to work ok.
>

> # tree
> .
> ├── dasd
> │   └── 3390.LINUX.0120
> ├── prt
> ├── rdr
> │   ├── initrd.debian
> │   ├── kernel.debian
> │   └── parmfile.debian
> └── s390.cnf
>

> # cat s390.cnf
> CPUSERIAL 000069        # CPU serial number
> CPUMODEL  9672          # CPU model number
> MAINSIZE  256           # Main storage size in megabytes
> XPNDSIZE  0             # Expanded storage size in megabytes
> CNSLPORT  3270          # TCP port number to which consoles connect
> NUMCPU    1             # Number of CPUs
> LOADPARM  0120....      # IPL parameter
> OSTAILOR  LINUX         # OS tailoring
> PANRATE   SLOW          # Panel refresh rate (SLOW, FAST)
> ARCHMODE  ESAME         # Architecture mode ESA/390 or ESAME
>
> # .-----------------------Device number
> # |     .-----------------Device type
> # |     |       .---------File name and parameters
> # |     |       |
> # V     V       V
> #---    ----    --------------------
>
> # console
> 001F    3270
>
> # terminal
> 0009    3215
>
> # reader
> 000C    3505    ./rdr/kernel.debian ./rdr/parmfile.debian ./rdr/
> initrd.debian autopad eof
>
> # printer
> 000E    1403    ./prt/print00e.txt crlf
>
> # dasd
> 0120    3390    ./dasd/3390.LINUX.0120
>
> # tape
> 0581    3420
>
> # network                               s390     realbox
> 0A00,0A01  CTCI -n /dev/net/tun -t 1500 10.1.1.2 10.1.1.1
>

> # LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/thomas/lib/ /home/thomas/bin/hercules -f s390.cnf
> Hercules Version 3.11
> (c)Copyright 1999-2010 by Roger Bowler, Jan Jaeger, and others
> Built on Aug 18 2015 at 00:41:18
> Build information:
>  Modes: S/370 ESA/390 z/Arch
>  Max CPU Engines: 8
>  Using setresuid() for setting privileges
>  Dynamic loading support
>  Using shared libraries
>  HTTP Server support
>  No CCKD BZIP2 support
>  Regular Expressions support
>  Automatic Operator support
>  No HET BZIP2 support
>  Machine dependent assists: cmpxchg1 cmpxchg4 cmpxchg8
> Running on jdc-user Linux-2.6.32-573.3.1.el6..#1 SMP Thu Aug 13 22:55:16
> UTC 2015 x86_64 MP=2
> HHCHD018I Loadable module directory is /home/thomas/lib/hercules
> Crypto module loaded (c) Copyright Bernard van der Helm, 2003-2010
>  Active: Message Security Assist
>          Message Security Assist Extension 1
> [...]

Christian Boitet
(Pr. Université Joseph Fourier)
Groupe d'Etude pour la Traduction Automatique
                 et le Traitement Automatisé des Langues et de la Parole
G        E             T          A              L                P

GETALP, LIG-campus, BP 53              Tel: +33 (0)4 76 51 43 55
41 rue des Mathématiques               Fax: +33 (0)4 76 63 56 86
38041 Grenoble Cedex 9, France         Mel: Christian.Boitet@imag.fr