Re: Atlas: Help with s390 ASM

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 09:11:37 -0500, Adam Thornton wrote:
> On Jan 28, 2010, at 1:55 AM, Bastian Blank wrote:
> > But you remind me for something: I wanted to raise the minimum CPU
> > requirement to z900.
>
> Er, why?
> There are a number of shops out there still stuck running 31-bit
> processors (albeit, no longer supported by IBM).  I supported one
> such right up until I left my previous job.  Those guys don't have
> a lot of other Linux options available to them (although, granted,
> they tend to also not have any money available to them).

I can't speak for Bastian, but I do know that there has been no
upstream support for the "April 2004 Stream", the last "stream"
which supported ESA/390 processors, in years.  The kernel modifications,
C compiler modifications, and C run-time library modifications
which support the "s390" architecture and the s390-tools package
come from IBM; and IBM dropped support for the April 2004 Stream long ago.
Starting with the "October 2005 stream", only z/Architecture
processors are supported.  There may be other reasons too, and
Bastian may have something to say about it, but this alone would
appear to be enough.

If it's any consolation, Debian Lenny is the last kernel release
(2.6.26) by *any* distribution, to the best of my knowledge, to
support ESA/390 processors.