Re: Lenny installer hanging, replace SUSE with Lenny

On Jan 9, 2009, at 1:06 PM, Dan Dart wrote:

Plus. does anyone have a safe way to replace SUSE with Debian while
running SUSE? (This IS on s/390 now, haha)  I have experimented with
debootstrap and have found it to be a great tool. But how would I go
about making it permanent? Do I make sure openssh-server is installed,
install debian from inside a chroot, to outside it, or is there a
better way?

Here's how I'd do it:

Set up a new disk (this does require that you can get a new chunk of DASD; under z/VM, of course, this is usually really easy. LPAR, not so much.)
Mount it from the SuSE system.
Bind-mount /sys, /proc, /dev
debootstrap into the new disk
run mkinitrd/zipl on the new disk

Then shutdown the SuSE system and IPL from the new device.

Adam