Re: s390 Etch install problem

On Sep 11, 12:20 am, Adam Thornton <a...@fsf.net> wrote:
> On Sep 10, 2007, at 11:27 PM, GaryR wrote:
>
> > Well, unless someone comes to my rescue, I think I am officially
> > giving up on getting Debian up and running on s390.  I cam across a
> > poster mentioning there are "depressing little Debian s390"
> > developers.  I understand this now.  I also understand free software
> > comes alot from free time of individuals, but what I have a problem
> > with is those that are making profits from selling CD's with broken
> > installers.  I downloaded the (also "free") CentOS and it booted right
> > away.   Should have did this a week ago.
>
> I tried coming to your rescue in private; you apparently did not read
> my message.  I'll repeat it.
>
> You mentioned you're running under z/VM.
>
> Get your kernel image, your parmfile, and your initrd (download them
> binary, recfm F, lrecl 80) and put them in your reader in that order,
> with nothing else in your reader, and IPL from the reader.  Do a
> search for DEBIAN EXEC, which is a little bit of Rexx that automates
> this process, if you like.
>
> That's all there is to it.  The procedure is the same as it's always
> been for Linux on S/390.
>
> Adam
>
> --

Thanks Adam.  I think your response got lost amongst alot of spam.  I
am (thankfully) a little further along than this.  I am completely
familiar with the z/VM initrd boot process.  I am currently running
the 1st Marist build from 2001 in Production.  So, the problem is in
the kernel that is distributed on the DVD.  I have also downloaded the
s390 .iso from a Debian mirror hoping that it was a newer build, but
no go.  Is anyone else having this issue?  They must be if they're
using the binary's.