Re: s390 Etch install problem

On Sep 7, 3:20 pm, GaryR <istg...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 7, 2:10 pm, Bastian Blank <wa...@debian.org> wrote:
>

> > On Fri, Sep 07, 2007 at 01:28:09PM -0700, GaryR wrote:
> > > Kernel command line: root=/dev/ram0 ip=off ro debian-installer/
> > > locale=C
>
> > This is wrong. Neither root= nor ip= is listed in the supplied parmfile.
> > The content is:
> > | ro debian-installer/locale=C
>
> > > checking if image is initramfs...it isn't (bad gzip magic numbers);
>
> > Your initrd file is broken.
>
> > Bastian
>
> > --
> > Those who hate and fight must stop themselves -- otherwise it is not stopped.
> >                 -- Spock, "Day of the Dove", stardate unknown
>
> > --
>
> Initrd is supplied by Debian, but it is broken, but I can't use an
> initrd, but must use an initramfs?!   I've tried downloading initrd's
> from several different ftp sites with same result.  Also, I started
> out with the default parmfile and no go.  In fact, anything I put into
> parmfile gives same result.  Where can I get a proper initramfs?  Or,
> how can I get this booted?
>
> --

Well, unless someone comes to my rescue, I think I am officially
giving up on getting Debian up and running on s390.  I cam across a
poster mentioning there are "depressing little Debian s390"
developers.  I understand this now.  I also understand free software
comes alot from free time of individuals, but what I have a problem
with is those that are making profits from selling CD's with broken
installers.  I downloaded the (also "free") CentOS and it booted right
away.   Should have did this a week ago.