Newbie -- s390 kernel build fails at fs/partitions/ibm.c

Hi, List

I just got into debian-s390 last Friday after a couple of years doing kernel builds for various s390 distributions of RedHat, TurboLinux, and SuSE, and I'm trying to do a kernel build to correspond to the 2.4.17 kernel distributed with the debian 3.0 s390 distribution. I'm trying to make it as vanilla as possible, yet every time I do the image make, I get these error messages:

make[4]: Entering directory `/home/rbh00/src/kernel-source-2.4.18/fs/partitions' gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/home/rbh00/src/kernel-source-2.4.18/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -pipe -fno-strength-reduce -DKBUILD_BASENAME=check -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -c check.c gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/home/rbh00/src/kernel-source-2.4.18/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -pipe -fno-strength-reduce -DKBUILD_BASENAME=ibm -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -c ibm.c
ibm.c: In function `ibm_partition':
ibm.c:126: parse error before `;'
ibm.c:134: `inode' undeclared (first use in this function)
ibm.c:134: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
ibm.c:134: for each function it appears in.)
make[4]: *** [ibm.o] Error 1

Those messages happen to be from my 2.4.18 attempt, but the ibm.c problem occurs in the same way in 2.4.17, where most of my attempts were done. The .config file is as copied from the distributed /boot/conf* and massaged by "make menuconfig" with no changes.

I have tried with my so-far limited knowledge of Debian stuff to look for others who've run into this problem. An item from this mailing list on Oct 13 of last year is about all I found, and I've not been able to find anything related in the debian bug database. If this problem is new to you, I'll submit a bug report; but I should think many folks have successfully by now built an s390 kernel and I must be doing something incredibly stupid; after all, the distro is dated something like back in January.

Steps I took were: (1) tar jxf of the tarball; (2) make menuconfig; (3) fakeroot make-kpkg clean; (4) fakeroot make-kpkg --revision=custom.1.0 kernel_image > image.out 2>&1.

Please advise me if this is a known problem and how I can find more about it; or if you would like more information from me. Thanks in advance for your help.

Dick Hitt    rbh00@utsglobal.com