Re: Copieing debian image from LPAR to z/VM

Your Linux disks are available on the z/VM LPAR. All you need to do is to IPL (boot up) your existing Linux in a z/VM guest. Then add your minidisks to it and copy using dd any files you want on the minidisk. You don't need a boottape. You have a disk you can boot from. The same disk that you boot from in an LPAR can be used to boot from in a z/VM guest. You only need to run zipl if you wish to change the device you are booting from. You do not need to run ftp just mount both the from and to disks on the same guest and use dd to copy it.

Michiel Bello (Wanadoo) wrote:
Arnd,

Thanks for your response.

We've already used dd to create backup copies. What I need is a way to copy
it onto a minidisk and then a way to run zipl.
Our knowledge of VM is rather limited, we've used it in the past but that is
an odd 15 years ago, so we're almost learning from scratch again.
Could you tell me if the creation of a minidisk is a destructive process? If
not it might be possible to somehow convert a 'normal ' dasd device into a
minidisk (I'll try this tomorrow)
However I am than still left with the problem of being able to run zipl. In
my opinion I can't really do anything without a driving system under VM.
I think the easiest way would be to create a boottape and get ftp up and
running to copy the entire image onto a minidisk. I will then be able to
change the configuration and run zipl.

However I would still be interested in other methods if there are any

Kind regards,

Michiel Bello

"Arnd Bergmann" <arnd@arndb.de> schreef in bericht