Re: Getting Hercules working

On Thu, 25 Apr 2002 23:26, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 25, 2002 at 08:54:03PM +0200, Russell Coker wrote:
> > Is there any documentation on how to get Hercules going with Debian?
> >
> > Last time I tried it I got the kernel to boot but I couldn't work out how
> > to get it to load the initrd.
>
> There is a quick-start page around somewhere, which I believe Richard
> Higson put together, but I don't have the URL handy.
>
> Given the necessary boot-floppies files in a subdirectory called 'bf', use
> a line like this:
>
> 000C    3505    bf/kernel.debian bf/parmfile.debian bf/initrd.debian
> autopad eof
>
> 000C is the device number of the 3505 card reader device from which to
> boot, so you would use "ipl 000c" to boot the installer.

I tried that but didn't even get as far as last time.  :(

I downloaded the files from
http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/dists/woody/main/disks-s390/current/tape/

I tried
000C 3505    kernel.debian-nolabel parmfile.debian initrd.debian autopad eof
and
000C 3505    kernel.debian parmfile.debian initrd.debian autopad eof
But it refused to boot.  Are the tape images incompatable with Hercules?

Then I tried the images from
http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/dists/woody/main/disks-s390/current/vmrdr/

Which seem to work.