Russian Encoding Methods

On Mon, 20 May 2002, Crouch, Harold L. wrote:

CHL>Greetings:

CHL>My native tongue is English (United States).  I want to be able to work with
CHL>both the English and Russian alphabets on my computer, and to be able to
CHL>send and receive e-mail in the Russian language.

CHL>The first task is to choose the correct encoding method.  I understand that
CHL>my choices are KOI-8R, UTF-8 (Unicode), ISO-8859-5 or CP-1251 (Windows).
CHL>Would someone please tell me which of these encoding methods is most
CHL>popular.

	KOI8-R is most common encoding for russian unixes.

	UTF-8 used when you plan to use more than 2 languages, some
of which based on non-cyrillic-non-7-bit-ASCII alphabet (some
european language, for example)

	CP-1251 used when 1) you need high degree of
interoperability with cyrillic MS Windows users or 2) you use
cyrillic language (Ukrainian, Belarussian) with letters absent in
KOI8-R.

	ISO-8859-5 is a historical mistake (ISO standard was based
on proposed Soviet standart, but latter was abandoned soon). Used on
some proprietary unixes.

	All above is a permanent source of flamewars.