Re: Russian Encoding Methods

On Mon, May 20 at 13:53:33 (-0400), Crouch, Harold L. wrote:
> Greetings:
>
> My native tongue is English (United States).  I want to be able to work with
> both the English and Russian alphabets on my computer, and to be able to
> send and receive e-mail in the Russian language.
>
> The first task is to choose the correct encoding method.  I understand that
> my choices are KOI-8R, UTF-8 (Unicode), ISO-8859-5 or CP-1251 (Windows).
> Would someone please tell me which of these encoding methods is most
> popular.

I not good in english, but i get advice to you :).
So, in russian we have 2 main encoding methods, they are KOI8-R and CP1251.
First, usually used by all people who use UN*X like OS, and the second used
by people who use Microsoft(TM) Windows. So if you work under MS OS (Windows)
the best way is to use the CP1251, or use KOI8-R.

What's about UTF-8 and ISO-8859-5?
UTF-8 used by the MS users in the general part and some UN*X like OS users.
ISO-8859-5 at now used quite low.

--
Sergei "df" Kononov
GnuPG ID: 0x7D992F45