Re: [Reminder] Ruby team meeting today (06-11-2020) at 1630 UTC

Dear all,

Here is a short summary of the short meeting we had earlier today:

- Lucas Kanashiro talked a bit about the state of ruby3.0. We are not
  ready to try to include it into Bullseye. In experimental, the support
  to build binary extensions with ruby3.0 is enabled. In the coming
  month, Lucas will do an rebuild of Ruby packages with ruby3.0 and
  start triaging issues and reporting bugs.
- Lucas also summarized the issue we had with the rubygems package
  looking for a special file in packages listing binary extensions in
  gemspecs and not using the gem layout. Following David Suárez's
  suggestion, gem2deb has been fixed #972702 to remove the mention of
  extensions in gemspec (no need to build them when installing binary
  packages), and binNMU to rebuild the affected packages have been
  requested, and everything should be fine now. If you discover the
  issue in a package which has not been fixed, ping kanashiro :)
- Utkarsh Gupta showed us the github webpage of rubocop-packaging,
  indicated that already (at least) 100 projects on Github are using it!
  Yay \o/
- Cédric Boutillier asked if we have a list of urgent matters to
  fix/decide before the freeze in a few months. We could not find
  nothing big. If you have ideas, then please send them to the mailing
  list
- Cédric also asked if there are tools to measure at the team level
  statistics about freshness of the packaging is a nice way.
  Something a bit like

  	https://trends.debian.net/

  but for teams.

  At the time of alioth, it was easy to get statistics directly running
  scripts through ssh on the team directory accross all repositories.
  With salsa it is not so convenient, and the number of packages
  increased a lot. For example, what is the proportion of packages using
  the gem install layout, or the debhelper compat level 13?
  Maybe we could contact Lucas Nussbaum to see how we could get this
  data by adapting his tools?
  Another source of data is the team metrics project

  	https://wiki.debian.org/Teammetrics/API
	http://blends.debian.net/liststats/

  but with a different focus.
  If you have numbers for this, it would be nice, and maybe would help
  to drive some efforts for the next release.
  I remember that a long time ago, we had a nice webpage, with a graph
  showing the transition from SVN to git. But I don't know how it
  worked...

Best wishes,