Re: help welcome

Am Freitag, den 06.11.2020, 12:29 +0100 schrieb Klaumi Klingsporn:

[..]
> First thing to do would be to import the new upstream
> version 3.0.6. I downloaded it as zip-file from
> https://github.com/gettalong/cmdparse. I extracted it and I
> think I should put it into the upstream-branch and tag it
> 'upstream/3.06'. But there is no upstream-branch in my local
> copy!?
>
> So, what did I wrong? Every hint and help is welcome to the
> stupid old man!

Praveen already gave you the advice. We use git-buildpackage (gbp) to build
packages from the source.

Gbp needs three branches in the standard setup: these are master (the "debian"
branch in gbo terminology; sometimes we use debian/sid as the branch name),
upstream (the "upstream" branch) and pristine-tar (if using pristine-tar, which
we do). If the repository setup differs from the standard setup you'll find the
correct values in debian/gbp.conf. There are several different layouts one can
use. If you stumble upon such a layout you can read more about it at
http://honk.sigxcpu.org/projects/git-buildpackage/manual-html/gbp.html.

Git clone will clone the repository but checkout only the default branch of the
repository which is usually master. You need to checkout all the branches gbp
needs. So you probably want to use

gbp clone <repository>

and

gbp pull --all

instead of the respective git commands. You might also want to set these
defaults in your ~/.gbp.conf:

[pq]
drop = true

(man gbp pq -> --drop option)

You might also want to clone the team's repo:

git clone https://salsa.debian.org/ruby-team/meta.git

In it you'll find tools to setup a clean build environment (`setup`) utilizing
sbuild, autopkgtest and lxc. After you did this if you call the included script
`build` from within a packages git repository it will run the necessary
commands to build (sbuild) and test (autopkgtest) the package and rebuild and
test all packages (build-)dependening on the package you just built. This is
essential when trying to build and upload a major update of a package.

There is plenty of "learning by doing" here. Don't hesitate to ask whenever you
stumble upon an issue.

Regards, Daniel
--
Regards,
Daniel Leidert <dleidert@debian.org> | https://www.wgdd.de/

If you like my work consider sponsoring me via
https://www.patreon.com/join/dleidert