Re: help welcome

Am / On Fri, 06 Nov 2020 15:16:51 +0100
schrieb / wrote Daniel Leidert <dleidert@debian.org>:

> Praveen already gave you the advice. We use
> git-buildpackage (gbp) to build packages from the source.
> There is plenty of "learning by doing" here. Don't
> hesitate to ask whenever you stumble upon an issue.

O.k., gbp (I had to install it first) opens a wide range of
new possibilities ;-)

But meanwhile I followed Praveens advice, created the
missing branches manually with 'git checkout', downloaded
the latest upstream version with uscan and imported it with
gbp. It now has the tag upstream/3.0.6.

Then I created a new changelog-entry with 'gbp dch -a',
made all my changes in the debian directory and documented
them in the changelog. Then I had to make git aware of a
new file:
git add ./debian/README.Debian
and committed all my changes to my local repo with
git commit -a.

Now the questions:

1.
Do I set the tag 'debian/3.0.6' now? Or is it done when
releasing the package?

2.
When exactly do I pull my changes to salsa.debian.org? Now?
Or should I build and test the package first (with this
meta-kit)? Lucky for me according to reverse-depends there
doesn't seem to exist any reverse (build) dependency to
ruby-cmdparse.

3.
The maybe too late question: To get my personal package
built I had to remove the file debian/ruby-test.rb. I think
it's because there is no test suite in the upstream source
any more. I did the same here. Is this ok or is this file
somehow essential for the package?

And more general:
4.
I have no ~/.gbp.conf at all. Is there there something
usefull I should set there besides
> [pq]
> drop = true

Thanks for your patience! It really seams to be "learning
by doing".

Klaumi

Klaus-Michael Klingsporn
mail: klaumikli@gmx.de