Re: help welcome

On Fri, Nov 6, 2020 at 12:29, Klaumi Klingsporn <klaumikli@gmx.de> wrote:
Am / On Tue, 20 Oct 2020 23:45:56 +0200
schrieb / wrote Daniel Leidert <dleidert@debian.org>:

 Git is much more easy then it probably looks. Again I
 speak from my own experience. We have some workflows and
 can help you setup the environment (there are even some
 Germans here :)). Maybe the easiest way to start is you
 telling us what you want to do first.

Ok, so Git it is!

I tried to learn a little bit about git (mainly: man
giteveryday), managed to get an account at salsa-debian.org,
to generate a rsa-key and to upload it there.

Then I cloned the repository:
"git clone git@salsa.debian.org:ruby-team/ruby-cmdparse.git
ruby-cmdparse"
so I have a local copy, but only of the master branch!?

First thing to do would be to import the new upstream
version 3.0.6. I downloaded it as zip-file from
https://github.com/gettalong/cmdparse. I extracted it and I
think I should put it into the upstream-branch and tag it
'upstream/3.06'. But there is no upstream-branch in my local
copy!?

So, what did I wrong? Every hint and help is welcome to the
stupid old man!

Next time do,
gbp clone --pristine-tar <url>

so it will create master, upstream and pristine-tar branches.

For now you can create those branches manually by,
git checkout upstream
git checkout pristine-tar
git checkout master

and for downloading the latest version, you can use,
uscan --verbose
gbp import-orig --pristine-tar <../...orig.tar.gz>

See https://wiki.debian.org/Diaspora/Packaging/UpdateUpstream for details.