Re: sup-mail package - from Debian Ruby Attic

Hi Iain,

On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 3:47 AM Iain Parris <ipv2.lst@parris.org> wrote:
> I am a long-time Debian user (running for 12+ years continuously in
> production), but this is my very first post on a Debian mailing list.
> I'd like to say a *huge* thank you for all that you do, from a very
> happy user. :-)

Very happy to know! :)

> The "sup-mail" package was removed from unstable and testing in April,
> due to FTBFS (no Ruby 2.7 compatibility and inactive upstream):
> <https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/sup-mail>,
> <https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=956071>.
>
> Upstream is now active again: I and another long-term Sup user are now
> the new upstream Sup maintainers. We released a new upstream version
> last week, including Ruby 2.7 support and other fixes - Sup 1.0.
> Upstream: <https://github.com/sup-heliotrope/sup>. (I am @IPv2 on
> GitHub.)

Aha, that's very nice indeed! \o/
Thanks for becoming the new upstream! :)

> The "sup-mail" package is still in stable, and working fine there. It
> would be nice if possible to reintroduce it before the bullseye release,
> to avoid breakage for existing users during the buster to bullseye
> upgrade, when system Ruby is upgraded to version 2.7.

Of course. Now that the upstream is active again, we can sure
re-introduce the package.

> Three questions please:
>
> (1) Is it possible to move sup-mail out of the Attic
>     <https://salsa.debian.org/ruby-team/attic/sup-mail> - who can do
>     this?

This is done now!
Repository here: https://salsa.debian.org/ruby-team/sup-mail

> (2) Can we sync sup-mail with upstream, with the goal of reintroducing
>     sup-mail package into unstable? Upstream release 1.0:
>     <https://github.com/sup-heliotrope/sup/releases/tag/release-1.0>.

This is also done :)
I have re-uploaded v1.0 to unstable.
It is in the NEW queue now and will soon be in the archive once it has
been accepted by the FTP masters. So it's just a matter of time now :)

> (3) How can I help? I am prepared to volunteer to do any/all of the
>     above. I am likely to need a mentor if I look at this myself,
>     because this would be my very first Debian contribution. Who's
>     friendly? :-)

Everyone's friendly here, welcome aboard ;)

I am happy to maintain this in Debian (as long as you're active upstream :)).
Besides, if you also want to maintain sup-mail in Debian, I'll be happy
to help you through :)
Let me/us know how can I/us help! \o/

Also, the most important part where you can really help is when I forward
some patches/issues upstream, maybe you can take a look at them and
provide a fix so it's more easier to maintain the package on the Debian
side! :)

> (I am sending this email to Utkarsh as the last committer to
> <https://salsa.debian.org/ruby-team/attic/sup-mail/-/commits/master/>,
> and to the wider Debian Ruby Team as per the wiki documentation,
> <https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Ruby/Packaging#Joining_the_pkg-ruby-extras_team>.)

Thanks for your mail! \o/

Best,
Utkarsh