Re: DebConf19 Ruby Team BoF

Hey,

On 5/12/19 9:01 PM, Antonio Terceiro wrote:
> On Fri, May 10, 2019 at 11:46:38AM -0300, Lucas Kanashiro wrote:
>> * Who will come to Brazil to attend DebConf? Would you like to
>> participate in this BoF?
> I will be around, and most likely will participate in the BoF.  Since I
> am heavily involved in the DebConf organization, however, I will most
> probably not be able to be involved in planning discussion topics, etc.

I can help Utkarsh with this. I proposed on our IRC channel some general
statistics (number of contributors in the last year, number of commits,
number of uploads, number of reported and closed bugs, and so on) to be
presented to the team which can help us to understand how well we are
doing at the moment and try to improve based on them. For instance we
might see if anyone is overloaded and if we are being able to attract
new contributors.

Another topic would be the next ruby interpreter transition (ruby 2.7
should be released by the end of this year). Do we want to plan a sprint
for the next year as we did for ruby 2.5 transition?

We also should discuss and try to find a way to avoid rush when a Debian
release approaches, we need to have a roadmap for the next development
cycle. For example this year we got rails 5 available in Buster in the
last minute and not surprisingly we didn't have enough time to get all
the rails apps accepted in time for the Buster release. We need to avoid
that for the Bullseye release.

> I will leave you with this, though: I am willing/looking forward to
> mentor whoever wants to help with the maintainance of the Ruby toolchain
> (https://tracker.debian.org/teams/ruby-toolchain/) and eventually take
> the lead in it at some point. I will be happy to discuss this at the
> BoF, or by email.

I already offered myself in the past to help you on that but
unfortunately things went on and I didn't make it. Let's try to move
forward this time :)

Cheers!

--
Lucas Kanashiro