Re: Migrating off alioth

* Pirate Praveen <praveen@onenetbeyond.org> [171226 16:29]:
> On 12/26/2017 08:28 PM, Chris Hofstaedtler wrote:
> > Hey *,
> >
> > Hope your holidays have been going well.
> >
> > As you're all hopefully aware, Alioth has an expiration date [1]:
> > 2018-05-01, with incoming mail service ending 2018-02-01.
> >
> > Therefore we must take action soon, on at least these two topics:
> >
> > 1) provide a working mail adress in the Maintainer field.
> >
> > Right now, most packages have this set:
> > Maintainer: Debian Ruby Extras Maintainers <pkg-ruby-extras-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>
> >
> > The only option that I know of is to replace that with
> > debian-ruby@lists.debian.org. Needs an upload of all packages
> > in any case (before 2018-02-01 preferably).
>
> I'd prefer if tracker.debian.org allows creation of teams [1] though it
> is only in discussion stage. I'm worried about the volume of mails, but
> if that is the only option, we may have to go for it.

For now this appears to be our only option. Although I'd suggest not
sending VCS infos by mail anymore. This would leave us with bugs
only...

> > 2) git hosting
> >
> > Apparently we have about ~1300 git repositories on alioth.
> >
> > I see two options here:
> >
> >   a) migrate to salsa.debian.org, under a new debian-ruby group.
> >      Would need to request that group from the salsa admins.
>
> I prefer ruby-team and -team is the normal choice (javascript team
> already created js-team).

Right. So before reading this I've gone ahead and got us
https://salsa.debian.org/debian-ruby

>From what I see we could also have gotten ruby-team or just plainly
ruby (see qa, postgresql teams).
I think we can get another rename, but then we should really know
what to :)

> There is a batch import script which we could use [2].

Indeed.
Well, once we actually move over, we then have a few things to do:

 a) actually add all users to the team
 b) stop using git on alioth. Not sure we can set stuff to R/O there.
 c) update make-mrconfig and so on
 d) ???

I might see how to do a) and maybe import a test repository.

> > Are we using any other alioth services?

A replacement for KGB is in the works, I'm told. No real word on
PET so far.