Re: Migrating off alioth

On 12/26/2017 08:28 PM, Chris Hofstaedtler wrote:
> Hey *,
>
> Hope your holidays have been going well.
>
> As you're all hopefully aware, Alioth has an expiration date [1]:
> 2018-05-01, with incoming mail service ending 2018-02-01.
>
> Therefore we must take action soon, on at least these two topics:
>
> 1) provide a working mail adress in the Maintainer field.
>
> Right now, most packages have this set:
> Maintainer: Debian Ruby Extras Maintainers <pkg-ruby-extras-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>
>
> The only option that I know of is to replace that with
> debian-ruby@lists.debian.org. Needs an upload of all packages
> in any case (before 2018-02-01 preferably).

I'd prefer if tracker.debian.org allows creation of teams [1] though it
is only in discussion stage. I'm worried about the volume of mails, but
if that is the only option, we may have to go for it.

> 2) git hosting
>
> Apparently we have about ~1300 git repositories on alioth.
>
> I see two options here:
>
>   a) migrate to salsa.debian.org, under a new debian-ruby group.
>      Would need to request that group from the salsa admins.

I prefer ruby-team and -team is the normal choice (javascript team
already created js-team).

>   b) migrate to salsa.debian.org, under the Debian group
>      ("collab-maint").

I don't think this is a good idea.

> Note that salsa.d.o is currently in beta for another 4 weeks or so,
> but given the time pressure, I'd press for starting early.

There is a batch import script which we could use [2].

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2017/09/msg00288.html
[2] http://www.df7cb.de/blog/2017/Salsa_batch_import.html