Re: Renaming ruby-factory-girl to ruby-factory-bot

On Fri, Dec 01, 2017 at 12:14:14AM +0100, Georg Faerber wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Upstream decided [1] to rename factory-girl to factory-bot, because "The
> name "Factory Girl" was confusing to some developers who encountered
> this library, and offensive or problematic to others." [2]
>
> We're using this in schleuder, therefore I would like to update the name
> accordingly.
>
> However, as I'm still quite new to Debian packaging, at least up until
> now I've never done a task like this, I'm unsure what this does involve:
>
> - A ITP for a new package?

no

> - "Just" renaming? What about reverse dependencies?

no

> - Does this need in fact a transition?

yes, please be nice and considerate. also it seems to just affect 3
packages, so:

- package factory-bot, provide a transitional factory-girl package
  (=rename the source package and provide a new binary package).
  then file bugs against the depending packages and tell them what
  happened and ask them to depend on factory-bot. if it were a big
  transition, starting with wishlist bugs might be appropriate, but
  here I think you can go straight to "important". (and in the case
  of bigger/larger/more painful transitions you'd eventually escalate
  to RC...). then get those bugs fixed and once noone depends on
  factory-girl anymore, remove that transitional package from
  factory-bot for good.

this is described in more detail in debian-policy and/or developers
reference.

> - Besides all of the above: I'm planning to backport this to stretch, as
>   well.

get it fixed in buster first...

--
cheers,