bundler and build-essential (was Fwd: Re: migrating to Debian gitlab)

-------- Original Message --------
From: Christian Seiler <christian@iwakd.de>
Sent: 2016, ഫെബ്രുവരി 15 10:05:08 PM IST
To: Pirate Praveen <praveen@onenetbeyond.org>, debian-devel@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: migrating to Debian gitlab

[... Skipped other discussion...]

(Btw., off topic: I haven't done much with ruby, but gitlab pulls in
build-essential via gitlab Depends: bundler and bundler Recommends:
build-essential. While this is Recommends, so you can avoid it if
you want to, it still seems weird to me that build-essential is
pulled in by default implicitly via gitlab...)

gem dependencies are already fragile and not having bundler would
make it impossible to check the dependencies.

Yeah, I said I didn't know enough about ruby to make a judgment call
on that, I just thought it weird.

Thinking about it, one could possibly split bundler into two packages
(bundler-bin and bundler), where bundler-bin contains the necessary
libs and binaries (but the binaries not in the system PATH but rather
in /usr/lib/bundler or so) so that you can depend on that, without
pulling in. bundler would then be a trivial package containing only a
symlink from /usr/bin to the real binary from the bundler-bin package,
but the bundler package would still Recommend all that stuff. That
way, people who want to use bundler get build-essential, whereas
people who just want to use gitlab don't get a compiler installed.

Don't know if that would be worth it (you can override Recommends:
dependencies, so if you don't want build-essential, you can just
remove it), but maybe you could think about it.

Regards,
Christian

What does everyone think about it?