Re: GitLab packaging

On Sat, Oct 4, 2014 at 1:14 PM, Pirate Praveen <praveen@onenetbeyond.org> wrote:
> On Saturday 04 October 2014 09:53 AM, Daniel Polanco wrote:
>> Hello all:
>>
>> After looking a bit a the mailing list, I realized I might be a bit
>> under qualified to package GitLab myself. I’m a fairly new programmer,
>> but I’m very interested in giving back to the community. A big part is
>> that it would take me a while to learn Ruby if that’s what is required
>> to create a package.
>>
>> Having said that, I wanted to throw my name out there and see what you
>> all thought. I’m very willing to learn new things, and I want to learn
>> how to package debs at some point, but I also don’t want to take too
>> much on and waste anyone’s time.

Investing time in learning people how to package for Debian is never
wasted. :-)

Have a look at

    https://wiki.debian.org/IntroDebianPackaging
    https://wiki.debian.org/Packaging

and we also have a specific page for how we do stuff in the Ruby team

    https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Ruby/Packaging

>> Daniel
>>
>> PS. This is the first time I’ve used a mailing list, so feel free to
>> guide me in the right direction if I’m using it incorrectly.
>>

> Hi Daniel,
>
> Good to see your interest. You can start from
> https://wiki.debian.org/GitLab/Packaging
>
> But steps would be very similar to Diaspora packaging which has more
> documentation https://wiki.debian.org/GitLab/Packaging

Praveen means

    https://wiki.debian.org/Diaspora/Packaging

> I can spent some time on irc to get you started with packaging. We
> usually hangout on #debian-diaspora on oftc.

You are very welcome to also join #debian-mentors and #debian-ruby,
for packaging help and sponsorship.

And keep posting on the mailing list!

--
Per