Fwd: Additions to gem2deb

(Sent this privately to Matijs by mistake.)

On Sun, Apr 20, 2014 at 8:36 AM, Matijs van Zuijlen <matijs@matijs.net> wrote:
> On 19/04/14 00:44, Per Andersson wrote:
>> I would like to reach a consensus on libjs-jquery though, which is not
>> suggested even though the bundled jquery.js is replaced with a symlink
>> to /usr/share/javascript/jquery/jquery.js. This is because libjs-query
>> recommends javascript-common which in turn suggests
>> apache | lighttpd | http. If I have understood correctly, if suggests are
>> configured to install automatically, suggestions would be automatically
>> installed. This would install a lot of, probably unwanted, stuff
>
> 'Suggests' really means what it says, it's just a suggestion. If people
> configure suggestions to be automatically installed, it seems to me that's their
> own choice, and they will have to live with the consequences. For a nice example
> of those consequences: packaging-dev recommends cmake, and cmake suggests eclipse.
>
> In the default case, by recommending libjs-jquery, just javascript-common would
> be installed additionally, which seems entirely reasonable to me.

I noticed that libruby2.0 and libruby2.1 both depend on libjquery-js and
replace the bundled jquery.js in darkfish with a symlink to jquery.min.js.

Ruby packages should then be able to not even suggest libjs-jquery, since
they depend on ruby | ruby-interpreter. This of course adds the requirement
that packages providing ruby-interpreter must depend on libjs-jquery and
provide the correct symlink.

--
Per