GitLab packaging

Dear people,

I'm the CEO of GitLab.com and would like to offer our help to package it.

I read the conversation about packaging GitLab for Debian in:
Current status https://lists.debian.org/debian-ruby/2014/03/msg00027.html
Stepping down https://lists.debian.org/debian-ruby/2014/03/msg00030.html
Emoji https://lists.debian.org/debian-ruby/2014/03/msg00053.html
(sorry that I can't reply to these email, I just joined the list)

I wanted to let everyone know that we are really excited about this
packaging effort and we'll help in any way we can.

Regarding "we need to help GitLab get rid of those patches by modifing
GitLab or get the patches included upstream." I have two concerns:
1. Some repo's are not maintained anymore by upstream, for example
https://github.com/mojombo/grit (and Rugged does not have all the
needed functionality yet).
2. Most of these patches are needed, we do not fork if we can avoid it.

We hope that Debian can make some exceptions for these forks.

There will probably also be the need to add configuration points to
GitLab to accommodate a different directory structure, we are open to
help with this.

I think packaging a big rails app is a major undertaking and maybe we
can set up a mailinglist for this (similar to the Fedora list at
rpm-gitlab-list@lists.clefos.org).

If there is any way we can get the Debian infrastructure team to test
GitLab while we work on packaging we think that is a win. We're sure
that there will be some demands for additional functionality and it
would be better to do this in parallel. Maybe they can use our Omnibus
packages https://www.gitlab.com/downloads/ to do the testing, or it
this out of the question?

Anyway, let us know how we can help.

Sytse Sijbrandij