Re: current status of GitLab packaging

Hello everyone,

On Thu, Mar 06, 2014 at 11:53:45 +0100, Cédric Boutillier wrote:
> Here is some information about where we stand today in the process of
> packaging GitLab.

I'm sure most of you are already aware of this, but I haven't been able
to keep up with the packaging of Gitlab. Mostly because I haven't had as
much time as I anticipated, but also because I'm not liking Ruby much.

I hope I won't (nor didn't) cause you any trouble if I step down from
the team. Apologies if I haven't said this before - one never finds the
right moment to leave a team or project :)

> There are some points needing to be checked with upstream. In particular,
> there are several gems named gitlab-*, which seem to be either patched
> versions of some libraries, or libraries stuck at a specific version.
> we need to help GitLab get rid of those patches by modifing GitLab or
> get the patches included upstream.

We spoke to upstream about these and tried to help them get rid of said
deps. If I recall correctly, their answer was that they just made minor
fixes to the code but that these fixes couldn't be merged back to their
upstreams for various reasons.

Like you say, it's worth getting in touch with upstream again to see how
the situation has evolved over the past year.

Regards.

--
Daniel Martí - mvdan@mvdan.cc - http://mvdan.cc/
PGP: A9DA 13CD F7A1 4ACD D3DE  E530 F4CA FFDB 4348 041C