current status of GitLab packaging

Dear all,

Here is some information about where we stand today in the process of
packaging GitLab.

GitLab has quite a lot of dependencies. Those are Ruby gems listed in
the Gemfile in the source code. And these gems have themselves
dependencies, having themselves dependencies...

A graph of dependencies, extracted from the gems metadata can be found
here:
http://people.debian.org/~boutil/gitlab/gitlab_deps20140306.pdf

The color code is as follows:
- green: in the archive
- orange: ITP
- purple: RFP
- yellow: in the NEW queue

So currently, we have:
- 156 dependencies
- 93 are packaged
- 4 are in NEW
- 15 ITPs but some are stalled
- 43 are unpackaged and have no ITP/RFP bugs (but some may have already
  Git repositories on Alioth in the pkg-ruby-extras project)

So we are about 66% way through.

The graph currently does not contain development dependencies, which
include libraries needed to run the tests. They represent about 50% more
packages, with about the same ratio packaged/unpackaged.

There are some points needing to be checked with upstream. In particular,
there are several gems named gitlab-*, which seem to be either patched
versions of some libraries, or libraries stuck at a specific version.
we need to help GitLab get rid of those patches by modifing GitLab or
get the patches included upstream.

I've submitted a "GitLab dependencies packaging" task for the
new contributor game organized by Debian France. We'll see how it goes.

In the mean time, feel free to pick one of the unpackaged/stalled ITP
dependencies, and make of it a nice Debian package.