Re: Meetup proposal during Debian Ruby Sprint in Paris

Dear Julien,

On Thu, Jan 02, 2014 at 10:28:46AM +0100, Julien 'Lta' BALLET wrote:
> Dear Cedric and Antonio,

> On Mon, Dec 23, 2013 at 2:12 PM, Cédric Boutillier <boutil@debian.org> wrote:
> > Thank you for your message. Some of us (at leat 4) will indeed gather in
> > January 15-17, just before the Paris MiniDebConf. We would be very happy
> > to exchange and discuss with the Paris Ruby community.

> That's a great news already :)

> > We would prefer to meet with you the first evening of our stay, so that
> > we have time to take into account the result of our discussion, but
> > other days would be fine too.

> No problem for meeting the first day of your stay. If you're willing
> to take public transportation to the suburbs i can even invite you for
> a french diner at my home, as i love to cook and share a good meal (i
> live around 30mn in the south of paris). We'll be able to fine-tune
> the details. I would still need we pick a date for the event right now
> so i can announce the event and more important find a place :)

so let's pick January, 15th, end of afternoon/evening. We will be
working at IRILL, near Place d'Italie. I hope we can organize the meetup
at some place nearby. Where do you gather usually?

For more interactive discussion, you can join our IRC channel on
#debian-ruby at irc.debian.org.

About the dinner offer, I am sure that the other participants of the
Debian Ruby meeting will agree with me that it is a wonderful idea, and
thank you in advance for the invitation.

> > We are not sure we will have time to prepare a proper presentation. But
> > if you have ready a list of questions/remarks, please send it to us, and
> > we could make a short presentation of our goals for the next Debian
> > release, and answer some of those questions/comments, then we would have
> > an open discussion. What do you think?

> This sounds great to me. I was also thinking about some debian ruby
> packaging mini-workshop or demo if one of you can handle this
> on-the-fly without requiring any (or too much) preparation, like
> packaging an hello-world application. This way the community could get
> a sense of the debian policy as a whole and of the ruby related
> details.

> Let me share the question and ideas we've received from the community so far :

> * The historical details of ruby packaging in Debian, since the last
> news that was relayed accross the comunnity was the departure of (the/
> one of the) old maintainer.
> * A point about the goals of ruby-debian team for the next release
> would obviously be highly enjoyable and interresting
> * How does the Debian Policy applies to Ruby, what are the ruby
> specific policies for packaging applications and libs/gems
> * What are the usage statistics of debian's ruby packages, compared to
> perl and python for example. What's the usage of the rails package for
> instance.
> * What's the debian-ruby team opinion on rvm/rbenv/etc, and especially
> on the facts that many people use built-from-source rubies on
> production machines.
> * Many people are concerned about the right way to update their
> dependencies cleanly on debian without having to break/conflict
> anything (i read something on our forums about fpm, what's you opinion
> on this one?)

Thanks for the list of questions. We'll try to answer those. I am sure
we can do also a crash course in Debian packaging for gems too.

> By the way, some people are just thankfull for your work and doesn't
> have any question, so i thought i would be a good idea just to relay
> their thanks here :)

Hé hé, that's good news and makes us happy :)