Re: Meetup proposal during Debian Ruby Sprint in Paris

Dear Cedric and Antonio,

On Mon, Dec 23, 2013 at 2:12 PM, Cédric Boutillier <boutil@debian.org> wrote:
> Thank you for your message. Some of us (at leat 4) will indeed gather in
> January 15-17, just before the Paris MiniDebConf. We would be very happy
> to exchange and discuss with the Paris Ruby community.

That's a great news already :)

> We would prefer to meet with you the first evening of our stay, so that
> we have time to take into account the result of our discussion, but
> other days would be fine too.

No problem for meeting the first day of your stay. If you're willing
to take public transportation to the suburbs i can even invite you for
a french diner at my home, as i love to cook and share a good meal (i
live around 30mn in the south of paris). We'll be able to fine-tune
the details. I would still need we pick a date for the event right now
so i can announce the event and more important find a place :)

> We are not sure we will have time to prepare a proper presentation. But
> if you have ready a list of questions/remarks, please send it to us, and
> we could make a short presentation of our goals for the next Debian
> release, and answer some of those questions/comments, then we would have
> an open discussion. What do you think?

This sounds great to me. I was also thinking about some debian ruby
packaging mini-workshop or demo if one of you can handle this
on-the-fly without requiring any (or too much) preparation, like
packaging an hello-world application. This way the community could get
a sense of the debian policy as a whole and of the ruby related
details.

Let me share the question and ideas we've received from the community so far :

* The historical details of ruby packaging in Debian, since the last
news that was relayed accross the comunnity was the departure of (the/
one of the) old maintainer.
* A point about the goals of ruby-debian team for the next release
would obviously be highly enjoyable and interresting
* How does the Debian Policy applies to Ruby, what are the ruby
specific policies for packaging applications and libs/gems
* What are the usage statistics of debian's ruby packages, compared to
perl and python for example. What's the usage of the rails package for
instance.
* What's the debian-ruby team opinion on rvm/rbenv/etc, and especially
on the facts that many people use built-from-source rubies on
production machines.
* Many people are concerned about the right way to update their
dependencies cleanly on debian without having to break/conflict
anything (i read something on our forums about fpm, what's you opinion
on this one?)

By the way, some people are just thankfull for your work and doesn't
have any question, so i thought i would be a good idea just to relay
their thanks here :)

Thank you again for your time and work on debian, looking forward to
read from you,

Best regards,
Julien.