Re: opinion requested re: RSpec::Support

Hi,

On 14/08/14 04:01 PM, Cédric Boutillier wrote:
Hi Caitlin,

On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 08:16:38AM -0400, Caitlin Matos wrote:

I just wasted a lot of time. Lesson learned.

Sorry for that...

That was directed solely at me. Re-reading this message, I realise it might have been interpreted otherwise. I meant no offense.

Rspec is used by a lot of packages. The version 3 dropped a lot of
commands, and many upstream project did not update their spec suite.
Changing now for the new major version might result in a lot of failure
to build from source due to test failures, and we don't have enough
manpower to fix/patch those test suites now.

Is there a central location that documents the plans for the Jessie upgrade?
I know of the Team Ruby Packaging wiki entry [1] but even that page calls
itself a mess and is quite outdated.

Perhaps the Team Ruby Jessie page [1] should be updated with tidbits like
this (and updated in general).

We're not very good at keeping the documentation uptodate. A lot of
effort was put on documentation during Wheezy's development cycle when
the transitition to gem2deb packaging tool occurred. Since about the
same persons were around for Jessie's development cycle, people didn't
seem to need the documentation any more, and didn't feel any need to
update it (at least it is my case, therefore I may feel a bit guilty
about that).

The page [1] you mentionned was the result of the Debian Ruby BoF during
DebConf13. It has been slightly updated during the Debian RUby meeting
in January 2014, but indeed doesn't reflect the situation of Ruby in
Jessie today, or what we want for the Jessie release.

You can find a report of the Debian Ruby meeting here:
https://lists.debian.org/debian-ruby/2014/02/msg00014.html
which contains more accurate and uptodate information.

I wouldn't mind contributing to and maintaining this effort. It would be
very helpful to newcomers such as myself who haven't noted these older
conversations. I can definitely change around what's already there and then
maintain it, but I'd need some help for the actual content, being one of the
newbies myself!

This page probably needs to be restarted from scratch. I will try to
clean it up. Certainly more uptodate content will come as a result of
the Ruby BoF during DebConf14 at the end of the month. Please join,
either if you attend DebConf, or remotely with the live video feed +
IRC, as I will.

I will hopefully be attending remotely.

Caitlin

[1]: https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Ruby/Jessie