Re: opinion requested re: RSpec::Support

On 13/08/14 04:05 PM, Cédric Boutillier wrote:
Hi,

On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 01:31:13PM -0400, Caitlin Matos wrote:
Hi all,

I want to get an opinion about RSpec::Support.[1] The main RSpec gems
(ruby-rspec-{core,expectations,mocks}) have become quite dependent on this
module.

The description is:

RSpec::Support provides common functionality to RSpec::Core,
RSpec::Expectations and RSpec::Mocks. It is considered suitable for internal
use only at this time.

I would like an opinion as to whether it is appropriate to create
ruby-rspec-support with a warning in the description, as opposed to lots of
patches in the other 3 packages.

On this list a couple of months ago, Miguel Landaeta started a thread
about rspec 3.0.
https://lists.debian.org/20140422192002.GA9668@alice.nomadium.lan

The concensus was, IIRC, that jessie would ship rspec-* 2.x, and we could
prepare a new ruby-rspec package for the 3.x version (one source package
for all modules) in experimental and play with it before the next
development cycle.

Cédric

I just wasted a lot of time. Lesson learned.

Is there a central location that documents the plans for the Jessie upgrade? I know of the Team Ruby Packaging wiki entry [1] but even that page calls itself a mess and is quite outdated.

Perhaps the Team Ruby Jessie page [1] should be updated with tidbits like this (and updated in general).

I wouldn't mind contributing to and maintaining this effort. It would be very helpful to newcomers such as myself who haven't noted these older conversations. I can definitely change around what's already there and then maintain it, but I'd need some help for the actual content, being one of the newbies myself!

Caitlin

[1]: https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Ruby/Jessie