Re: Working on rails 4 support

On 11/08/14 06:15 PM, Antonio Terceiro wrote:
On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 04:15:52PM -0400, Caitlin Matos wrote:
Hi all,

On 10/08/14 05:32 PM, Antonio Terceiro wrote:
Hi Caitlin,

On Sun, Aug 10, 2014 at 02:54:46PM -0400, Caitlin Matos wrote:
Hi Antonio,

What can I do to help at this point?

At this point, the only missing piece in unstable is ruby-sdoc which is
waiting in NEW; everything is already in.

Note that I've not used Rails much, so I don't know how helpful I can be.
However, I'd like to help where I can, since this is a huge block in
updating/fixing other packages!

I don't think there is anything blocked by rails at this point. Would
you say there is?

Let me rephrase that: Rails (or lack thereof) is stalling the transition of
many packages from unstable to testing. Also, there are some packages that
have newer upstream releases with rails 4.x support. Technically, these
could be upgraded and uploaded, but it would be nice to have a reliable
version of Rails to work with.

https://release.debian.org/migration/stalls.html
* 27 packages are stalled by ruby-sprockets-rails (8 days old, waiting for
rails, rails-4.0) [Debian Ruby Extras Maintainers]
* 27 packages are stalled by rails-4.0 (241 days old, has RC bugs, waiting
for ruby-sprockets-rails) [Debian Ruby Extras Maintainers]
* 27 packages are stalled by rails (6 days old, waiting for
ruby-sprockets-rails) [Debian Ruby Extras Maintainers]
* 16 packages are stalled by rails-3.2 (24 days old, has RC bugs) [Debian
Ruby Extras Maintainers]

There is a reliable version of rails to work with, and it comes from
src:rails. src:rails-4.0 is deprecated and in the process of being
removed:

I know about 4.0, but I was under the impression that src:rails was broken until further notice. My bad.

It seems that both britney and dak somehow think ruby-sprockets-rails
depends on rails-4.0, but once rails-4.0 is removed all that should be
OK.
the ones stalled by rails-3.2 (which will also be removed at some
point) should be updated to drop the '-3.2' from dependencies.

$ grep-aptavail -F Depends -r 'ruby-.*-3.2' | grep-dctrl -v -F Source rails -n -s Package
redmine
ruby-acts-as-taggable-on
ruby-carrierwave
ruby-factory-girl
ruby-factory-girl-rails
ruby-fixture-builder
ruby-foreigner
ruby-i18n-inflector-rails
ruby-rspec-rails
ruby-simple-navigation
ruby-sinon-rails
ruby-strong-parameters

I was just pointing out packages that need rails. Again, I realise these could technically be updated and uploaded without a working rails package, but thought it was better to wait. Of course, that's when I thought rails was still broken. :)

redmine should be hard (it's in my TODO, but I will accept help), the
others should be a lot easier.

Okay, bottom line, there's not really anything I can do to help with rails itself, but packages that depend on rails (whatever version) can still be updated and I don't have to worry about something breaking because something changed in rails. Right?

Caitlin